This project involved the construction of a new Lidl Store at an existing brown field site in Mallow, Co. Cork off the N72 between Westend Road and Park Road with a shared entrance to Dairygold Co-operative. The site was being utilised as a car park.
It involved construction of the main retail store (2642 m2), two office units (300.6 m2) and a Pharmacy retail unit (170.9 m2) with a 175 space car park to serve the complex encompassing five disabled spaces, four parent and child spaces, eight electric charge spaces as well as 56 Bicycle rack slots. Other major construction aspects will included two below ground attenuation tanks at the north of the site, a trolley bay structure and a rooftop photovoltaic solar panel array.
The brownfield site development scope included:
- Establishment of accurate secure site boundaries
- Enabling works involving signage application, traffic management, facilities setup and determination of extent of existing underground services
- Ground works involving excavations, drainage, ducting, foundations
- Construction works involving steel frame, formwork, cladding, glazing etc
- Internal fitout including mechanical / electrical and soft finishes
- External landscaping both hard and soft.
External works involved:
- Site Preparation (removal of existing drainage and manholes)
- Concrete works (foundations for hardware, planters)
- Retaining wall to plaza area
- blue limestone cladding to concrete walls
- construction of external pedestrian stairs (included “Mayfair” paving flags by Tobermore)
- construction of a plaza area (Tobermore paving with natural limestone paving strips)
- construction of planters including installation of grey limestone capping
- site fencing (timber knee fencing, paladin fencing & timber fencing)
- car park construction (175 spaces)
- installation of below ground drainage, site services (piped and ducted – watermain, telecoms, public lighting, electrical).
- installation of bollards, e-car bollards, charging station, signage, bicycle stands, seating benches, insect hotel and flag pole base.
- landscaping including topsoiling and planting of 1416 plant items ranging from trees to shrubs.
- tree root protection works to existing tree.